Characters will be rolled up as per the 3rd Edition Gamma World rules, with the following changes:
- The TOTAL of all the characters Ability Scores may not be higher than 74, before Racial adjustments.
- No more than one stat above 18, regardless of Racial (or other) adjustments.
- All characters start with one piece of equipment equal to their starting Tech Level (e.g., a Tech II character can start with a suit of Tech II armor, or a Tech II weapon, or some other Tech II device), plus the normal 3d6x10 gp for all starting Characters.
- Every character is assumed to be at least passingly familiar with living in a Tech III town (Neugene); e.g., a plant PC will know how to turn on an electric light by flicking a light switch. Everyone has grown up either in the actual town/city of Neugene, or in one of the small hamlets under the Protectorate of Neugene.
- Neugene is a town (city), population about 6,500 (mostly PHS and Mutant) with a town council made up of 5 members. It is a more or less ‘democratic’ town, with a strong Restorationist and Healers (recently, a self-proclaimed “ex-member” of the Iron Society has managed to get on the council; he is still viewed with suspicion, however).